What is a Vaginal Steam?
For women who experience PMS, lack of or inconsistency of menses, infertility, or other uterine conditions, like fibroids, vaginal steams are extremely helpful. They are gentle to the point that they also help with more emotional and spiritual holding in the pelvic floor, like sexual abuse. I learned about Vaginal, or Pelvic Floor, Steams from my teacher Rosita Arvigo, who learned them from Maya Elders.
Because both men and women can use this technique, I use the term "Pelvic Floor Steam" to be inclusive.
What you are literally creating is a tea that you sit on top of. The steeped flowers and herbs have volatile oils that are released and therapeutically cleanse the uterus (or the prostate if a man is doing it). The steam from the tea releases the properties from the plants and allows the uterus to shed excess energy, menses, and even trauma.
You can use either fresh or dried plants and flowers to create this ancient Mayan remedy.
The most common plants to use for a steam are: Basil, Marigold, Rosemary, Oregano, Motherwort, Chamomile, Red Clover, St. John's Wort, Damiana, Dandelion, Horsetail, Yellow Dock, and Squaw Vine.
Why Do a Pelvic Floor Steam?
Vaginal Steams have numerous benefits for women. This is a wonderful treatment for both acute and chronic conditions of the reproductive organs. It's a gentle cleanser to the uterus. The volatile oils from the plants loosen old energy and previously stuck blood from the walls of the uterus.
For women, the timing of when to do a steam is more critical than for men. They should do the vaginal steam as close to the onset of menses as possible. For men, the timing is not as critical for circulation and lymph health as long as no inflammation is present.
For men, these steams increase circulation as well as lymph flow. It's a bit more like a Floral Spiritual Bath for men, whereas for women the internal health benefits are greater because the volatile oils in the plants are going inside them. So in other words, men primarily receive the energetic benefits of the tea blend with less physical ones. One specific condition Pelvic Floor Steams are helpful for men though is POST inflammation from chronic prostatitis.
How to Do a Pelvic Floor Steam
- Gather your medicinal plants with prayer and intention of healing. If using fresh flowers you need about 1 quarts worth. For dried flowers about 1 cup.
- In a 5 qt. pot of water make a tea with your flowers. As you place the plants and flowers into the water crush them and continue to hold your intention. Bring this pot to a low boil for about 10 minutes.
- Let it steep for 5 - 20 minutes.
- Set it inside the toilet or a chair with holes as vents.
- Remove your clothes from the waist down. Keep your socks on.
- Sit on top of the hot herbal tea pot, but do not burn yourself.
- Wrap a blanket around you and the pot so the heat is trapped.
- Sit for 30 minutes and relax.
- Stay warm and have a relaxing next hour or two. If possible, do it in the evening and take to your bed after. Perhaps spend time journaling about what you have released or want to let go of. Then focus on what you want to call into the new void.
Conclusions on Vaginal & Pelvic Floor Steams
Here is the link to my Vaginal Steam Dried Flower Blends. I make each blend personally for you and infuse it with your intention for healing.
For women, the Vaginal Steam may be done in conjunction with the Female Tonic. See Uterine Self-Care for more information. In can be part of a treatment plan for a deep uterine cleanse.
For men and women, the Pelvic Floor Steam can be done once or twice a year as a preventative treatment of the pelvic floor.
If you have any questions about anything in this post, feel free to contact me directly via email. Blessings on your pelvic floor!