For millions of people who suffer with seasonal allergies it can be an awful time of year. It affects all aspects of life and can really take the joy out of Spring. During a season that we who dwell in the cold, gray Northeast anticipate with immense expectation this is a very sad thing indeed!
What about Summer?
For many people, the allergies wait to hit until Summertime. Often it's due to the air of summer being full of pollen, dust, spores and other irritants.
With so much to do, many people fall into the trap of using over the counter medications or prescription medications simply because they don't know what else to do and the need relief now. All of these drugs have both short term and long term side effects. These side effects are something most of us for the sake of our cells and long term health will want to avoid.
The best allergy remedies are non- toxic, simple to use and effective within minutes.
If you're anything like me your mind may be set on finding and effective natural allergy solution that actually works. As someone who's been on a mission to manage allergic reactions (that can be quiet serious) naturally for years, I wanted to share some tips I have learned along the way.
There are two perspectives I make on the matter:
- There is the big picture long range root of the issue stuff.
- Then there is my "must have immediate relief - I am so miserable camp."
If you do nothing else get these two things:
Lavender & Peppermint Essential Oils
Keep them in reach and know where they are at all times.
A drop in time of these two wonderful oils may help you stop the awful downward spiral of an allergic reaction that takes over your being.
(I'm not a doctor, this is not medical advice, only sharing our success here. Who knows you might have the same amazing results as thousands of other people who use these non toxic solutions, just like I did. )
How to Use Lavender & Peppermint Essential Oils for Spring & Summer Allergies
Lavender is a natural antihistamine. It's an oil I'd never be without for many reasons, but this is one of the #1 reasons I think it should be in every home. Our bodies are overtaxed these days from the chemicals in our environment, food supply and sadly the sources are quite lengthy. Allergic reactions are no joke!
- Using my ring finger I topically I apply a couple drops of lavender oil -neat- (which mean no dilution) to the inner parts of my outer ear. Basically as far as my finger can naturally reach, I anoint each of my ears with the oil.
- A bit of lavender oil applied to the tip of the nose and outer rim of the nostrils may bring relief also.
- Another spot I enjoy applying lavender oil is behind the ears and down the neck to the lymph glands.
- I will place a drop of lavender on my finger and then press it to the roof of my mouth and hold it there for 20 seconds.
- This is excellent for the scratchy throat, itchy ear and crazy sneezing fits I experience from time to time.
- Many people place a few drops of lavender oil (with a tiny bit of other carrier oil) in a veggie capsule and take it as a supplement two times a day.
- After applying lavender to yourself in the ways I've discussed above cup your hands near your mouth and and breathe deeply for a few minutes.
Want to buy Therapeutic Grade Lavender Essential Oil? Click here.
Peppermint in contrast to Lavender oil is a very strong essential oil. That means this is an oil that you will need to take precautions with and be really mindful of using it with children.
Rules For Enjoying Using Peppermint Oil:
- Never apply Peppermint essential oil directly near your eyes!
- Dilute before applying Peppermint oil your skin by mixing with a carrier oil or salve.
- Peppermint is very cooling to the skin.
- When you apply diluted peppermint to your child's feet you may want to immediately cover their feet with socks. This is an excellent way to prevent them from accidentally getting the oil in their eyes because they touched their feet and then rubbed their eyes.
- Applying diluted Peppermint Oil to my feet really opens up the channels of my body, clears my head, and helps improve my focus. This is very useful when allergies hit since it can really cloud my thinking.
- For adults only place one drop of peppermint on the palms, circle it around and prepare to inhale. With my finger tips together, I make a little tent out of my hands. Resting the tips of my fingers on the bridge of my nose and then fitting my nose in the little opening above the thumbs. Now I breath in and out!
- For children you can do this same thing applying it to YOUR hands, but allow them to regulate how close you get to their face and nose. As I mentioned Peppermint is potent stuff and very useful, but you've got to be wise when using it.
Want to buy Therapeutic Grade Peppermint Oil? Click here!
Long Term Strategies
One tip I will give you right now is this:
- Remove as much corn as possible from your diet. Learn all the places it is hiding in the food supply here at this website.
Guest Blog Post by Courtney Sullivan.
Mother of six shares her Natural Remedy Tips.
Learn More about her at: Mama's Healthcare.